Saturday, February 6, 2010

Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in 640 Summer Angel







Price: $7-10

What they say:
"Smoother Lips, Better Colour This moisture-infused lip essential reduces lip dryness by up to 65% for smoother lips and better colour. Developed with SPF 18 and a cutting edge Self Adapting Moisture Complex that features Hylaronic Acid, Collagen and Vitamins A, C and E to nourish lips, leaving them with a smoother surface for better colour application and wear. 24 creamy, moisturizing shades come richly wrapped in an elegant metallic purple case."

What I say:
I got this lipstick while I was on the hunt for the Hardcandy nail polish that I got at Walmart, and really I just got it because of the purple tube, my lack of lipstick on me at the moment, and the SPF 18 that this claims it has.

The lipstick is sheer, and extremely frosty.  Now, maybe, in another color, this would be okay qualities, but Summer Angel is a cool champaign color, so sheer and frosty just means it looks like I'm wearing, well, nothing but frost.  I can't really think of another way of putting it.  It's like when you  have a highlighter that doesn't give much color of its own, and you put too much on, that frosty, kinda greasy but not grease, sheen.

To make matters worse, the frost and formula itself make your lips lines show like you put a neon sign up pointing to them.  I know my lips have been a little dry as of late, with winter and all, but I had just treated them and moisturized hours before I wiped the treatment off, and the lines still showed.  This is definitely not a lipstick for someone who doesn't have absolutely perfect lips, and even then, this probably isn't the lipstick for you.  Like I said before, maybe this is just a fault of this color, but after this one, I'm not sure I want to find out if that is true or not.

On to the smell and taste.  Horrible, both of them.  I can stand some chemically smell and taste, but for this lipstick, the taste never goes away.  Seriously, it's gross, that's about all I can say.  The texture, surprisingly, I didn't hate entirely.  While it feels a little greasy, it's not drying, and it almost feels like the grease is moisturizing your lips underneath the cover.  There's slip, and the lipstick doesn't last the longest, but really, it could be worse.

Finally, a good point, the packaging.  I love it.  A rounded squared cylinder, purple plastic, and a crown at the top.  Very nice.

Overall, I would not repurchase.  For the price, this is absolutely terrible.  I would expect something like this if I paid less than $5, but I paid over 7 to experience this.  Unfortunately, I lost my receipt, and I'm not about to make a fuss over that amount, but otherwise, I would be taking this back for a refund.  Hopefully I'll be able to find something to layer on top of this, since it might at nicely as a shimmer adding coat.

1/5, horrible.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, this color is really horrible. I made the mistake of buying it too. I saw some one wearing spotlight beige and it looked good on them. I have a uk one in Nude delight and I love it. It's so much better! hopefully you can exchange it for another color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I lost the receipt, so I'm stuck with it. I just gave it another go last night, and I still hate it, especially the terrible greasy feel that it gives. I'm glad you like the Nude Delight one! I should check that one out.

    ReplyDelete