Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Make Up For Ever: HD Microfinish Powder



Price: $30 for 0.35 oz

What they say:
"What it is:
A universal translucent finishing powder to be applied over foundation or worn alone.

What it does:
Sets the foundation and slightly mattifies skin without changing its natural contours. This 100% mineral silica powder softens the appearance of imperfections. Completely evens out the complexion for a glowing, radiant look. One universal shade for all skin tones.

What else you need to know:
It's completely translucent and goes on any skintone. Its talc-free formula does not dry the skin and is formulated with 100% silica. Dermatologically tested. "

What I say:
I've had, and used, this powder for a while, and have to say that I really like it.  There is no whiteish cast, it lasts all day, and it helps control the oil on my T-zone, which really is all I ask in a powder.

The texture is a very finely milled powder, like powdered sugar, that feels cool when applied to the skin (at least it does to me).  A little goes a really long way with this one, so tapping off the excess from your brush is a must.  I use a MAC 187 (or equivalent) for this one, since I want it to be as light of a layer as possible, and the effect is a non-noticeable layer of powder.  Many people online say that they get a white cast when using this.  I have not noticed this myself, and wonder if it might be a difference in application techniques.

MUFE HD powder sets my base makeup beautifully, without the cakey look that can often be associated with a setting powder.  On top of this, I do notice a difference between when I set with this powder and when I do not in terms of lasting powder, and oiliness starting to show through.  I would say that it mattifies the skin, like they claim, but it doesn't cause a dewy foundation to go straight to matte.

The price, while steep, I feel is actually worth it.  I use a small container for travel for this powder, and leave the rest in the container until I need to refill the container I use.  One small travel thing of this powder (think the size of container that you get for samples) lasts me several months, and the jar holds a lot of these containers.  There are dupes online of pure silica powder, which have a much lower price tag, but without trying them, I cannot say if they are worth it or not.  Part of what makes this powder so nice is how finely milled it is, and that's something you cannot tell from a picture online.

If there is one thing I don't like about this powder it would be the container it comes in.  The holes on the sifter are far too large, allowing way too much powder to come out of them.  That's one of the reasons I use a travel container, since I have all but one of the holes closed in it.  If I were to change anything, I would make it one of those sifters that looks like a fine mesh instead of a piece of plastic with large holes.  The powder would be easier to get back into the container without opening it up completely, and less of the powder would be at the top, waiting for the person who is not paying 100% concentration on opening this powder to come along.

Overall, I highly recommend, especially if you can get a sample, which would last you at least a couple weeks.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment