Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Clarisonic

 
image from clarisonic.com
Price: $149 the Mia, $195 for Classic, $225 for PLUS, Single Brush Head $25

What they say:
"Clarisonic is the sonic technology proven to gently yet effectively loosen dirt and oil to clear your pores. The Clarisonic Cleansing System uses a patented sonic frequency of more than 300 movements per second to clean, soften and smooth your skin. In just 60 seconds a day, the Clarisonic micro-massage action cleans more than twice as effectively as manual cleansing.

Clarisonic Sonic Cleansing Benefits

  • Removes 6x more makeup than manual cleansing
  • Leaves skin feeling and looking smoother
  • Cleanses so well that products absorb better
  • Gentle enough for twice daily use
  • Helps reduce oily areas, dry skin patches and blemishes
  • Helps reduce the appearance of visible pores
  • Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles"
What I say:
I originally got the Classic a few years ago as a gift, back before they lowered the prices.  This is a good brush.  I wouldn't say it's the end all be all of facial brushes, but I do think it is nice, and might be worth getting the Mia (the cheapest) if you have the money.

Some things about this.

1) This does help with exfoliation.  I combine my mild exfoliator with my brush, and it really really really works.  So much that I only do this about once a week, maybe a little longer.  I don't know how well this removes makeup, since I use oil cleanser and I don't mix it with this brush.

2) You can get the same effect, in a way, with a electric toothbrush.  In fact, you can use your own toothbrush, and just dedicate a brush head for your face.  You might also get a similar effect with a hand brush (the ones that you used to be able to buy at The Body Shop).

3)  The brush heads should be replaced every 3-4 months... Honestly, I go longer, I just sanitize it every now and again.  If it doesn't look like it's worn, I keep using it.

4) I'm not sure about the newer versions, but the older versions you have to look at the front of the device after use to see if it needs to be recharged (the lights flash), or you have to remember how many minutes out of its maximum you have used up.  This can be a little annoying.  It also take a long time to charge, but it holds charge well.

5) So far I cannot say it reduces pore sizes, reduces wrinkles, or gets rid of oily/dry patches.  I think this is more a marketing ploy, but I could be wrong.

6) It is completely waterproof!  That right there might be an incentive for some of you, since you can multitask and clean your face while in the shower.  Also, if you dedicate a head, you can use this on your body, which is nice.

So there you have it.  It is a decent brush, and might help with claims beyond its cleaning ones, but honestly, I doubt, if it does it at all, that it helps a great bit.  If you want to see how this works, get an electric toothbrush and try that out.  Granted, the head on this is much much larger, so less stress in one area, and it is faster to clean your face, but it will give you a decent idea.

So do you need this?  No.  Is it nice to have?  Yes.  Is it worth its price?  I don't think it is.  The Mia is the best deal, so go with that one if you are looking at all.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment