Saturday, March 27, 2010

Orly Top 2 Bottom Basecoat and Topcoat

 image from sallybeauty.com


Price: $7 for .5fl oz, 14ml

What they say:
"   * UV protection prevents nail polish from yellowing & fading
    * Helps polish last longer
    * Bonding power of a basecoat
    * Protection of a topcoat
    * Creates strong, chip-resistant manicures
    * Convenience of two products in one
Combination product makes manicures quick and easy. "

What I say:
I definitely like this stuff a lot better than Orly's nail polishes.

I bought this to take the place of my old top and bottom coat, since I think it was reaching the end of its life, and I didn't really like it to begin with.  The ratings that I saw online seemed good, and the price was right, so I decided to give this a go.

First off, the bottle is really nice.  Like Orly nail polishes, the handle of the brush is rubberized, making it very comfortable to use.  The rest of the bottle is just pretty standard, but the handle is great.  The brush is pretty small, but that could be a good or bad thing, depending on preference.  I didn't find it hard to work with, but I would have liked it to be a little bit larger.

The formula itself is pretty good.  It dries quickly, which means I can put my next layer on as soon as I get back to that nail (I go in a circle).  The base/top coat dries clear, with a slight glossy sheen, though I would say that the sheen was less than what I saw with Seche Vite.

The smell is standard, but I think it is actually a little less than normal.  I don't go around just sniffing my nail polishes, though, so I'm not really sure, hehe.

I can't really say how the wear is just alone with this, since I was also using Seche Vite, but I do know it is higher than OPI's top coat.  This lasted 2 days on me before my polish started to chip on the ends, but to be fair, that's pretty amazing considering how rough I am with my hands.  As a base coat, this worked amazingly well, helping to bind my polish to my nails like no other.

Overall, I recommend checking this top and bottom coat out.  It's worth the price, since you get two products in one, and actually lasts a respectable amount on nails that see a bit of action.

Top coat: 4/5
Base coat: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment