Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Best of 2009

So another year's done (at least, on my calender), and it is time to look back at the best of 2009.  Some of these I still have to review, hehe.  On with the show!

1) Best Foundation:  Max Factor Pan-Stik
I might have skin that doesn't like mineral oil, but this foundation does not irritate, cause breakouts, or other nasty things to my face.  It also is extremely pigmented, so a little goes a really long way.  Too bad Max Factor is pulling from these shores, but I already stocked up on a small supply of this foundation, so I should be good for at least a year.  Let's see if this year can find me a better/new one to take its place ^_^.

2) Best Eyeshadow:  Urban Decay
Urban Decay has a great color selection, good pigmentation, and lovely palettes.  I don't like how they don't make a good eyeliner (kinda lumpy, and doesn't make a nice line for me), but I can forgive that for the other good points.  If I were to change anything, besides the eyeliner thing, I would make the packaging nicer; the palettes are nice enough, but the singles that I have all have packaging that breaks way too easily, and I don't even travel with them.

3) Best Eyeshadow Primer:  Urban Decay Primer Potion
I only say that because it works the best for me, but actually I don't like it that much.  The packaging sucks, the primer balls up if I accidentally put too much on, it doesn't work well with my concealer, and I really don't notice it keeping my eyeshadow fresher for that much longer.  Still on the hunt for better in general, but in the meantime, this is the best that I have tried.

4) Best Blush: NYX
I find these to be as pigmented as NARS, as finely milled, and a fraction of the price.  I have heard some people say that they are a little powdery, or chalky, but the colors I have do not suffer from that, so it might be a batch or color problem.  The amount that you get is very generous, and the pigmentation makes it last even longer.

5) Best Lipstick: MAC
While NYX has the better color selection, most of their lipsticks are a little shiny for my liking.  MAC, on the other hand, has the range from shiny to matte, and from pigmented to sheer.  While I'm not the biggest fan of the price, they are still worth it, and I continue to buy from them.  My biggest concern is that many of their colors are limited edition, so if you find something, unless you bought a backup right when it came out, you might never see your favorite again.

6) Best Lipgloss: Dior Addict Ultra Gloss Reflect
Expensive, but lovely.  I don't like how sheer these are, but everything else about them I love.  They are shiny, but not over the top, non-sticky, don't have a strong flavor or scent, and the packaging is just lovely.  I hope they come out with more colors that aren't just pink soon, because I really want to see how this formula works with something like, say, a deep red (not the sheer red that they have).

7) Best Eyeliner: Urban Decay 24/7
I'm still testing the MUFE ones, but am still a fan of these.  I have eyes that don't like eyeliner, so waterproof is the way to go for me.  It helps Urban Decay's case that they have a decent selection of colors.  Other companies, including drugstore ones, are making more eyeliners that are supposed to be competitors to this favorite, but the prices are still similar, so who knows how popular the other brands will get.

8) Best Mascara: L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Lash Extension Effect Mascara
I know some people hate this stuff, but I find it to work really well if you have the time to apply it the right way.  For those days that you have time to apply your makeup, the primer and mascara combination works well, give a nice effect, and washes off really easily (just remember that this only comes off with warm water, not makeup remover).  I'm still on the lookout for a good everyday mascara, so look for more reviews.


9) Best Fragrance: Burberry London for Men
Yep, still loving this scent.  Something about it just keeps making me come back for more.  This year I'm planning on branching out a little more, though, so look out for possible fragrance reviews (I know that they are a personal thing, but some fragrances are more universally good or bad).

10) Best Makeup Remover: shu uemera Cleansing Oil
Still the best for me, and still the most convenient for travel.  Non-greasy when removed properly, takes off even waterproof mascara like it was nothing, and helps clear our your pores at the same time.  This is a trooper, and I hope to never be without it (and by the looks of how long a bottle takes to go though, I don't think that will be a problem).  I still need to try the NYX equivalent, to see if that can take the place of this HG for me.

11) Best Lotion: L'Occitane Hand Cream
I found this relatively late this year, but fell in love with it quickly.  It absorbs quickly, doesn't leave a greasy feel on my hands, doesn't mess with my eczema, and the scents don't linger/smell so badly that I get a headache.  Too bad they cost an arm to get any of them.  They might last a long time, but unless they are on sale, the price makes them a little too steep for an all the time lotion.

Wow, that's a long post, and a long list.  I didn't even go though everything, just the things that I use all the time.  I hope you all had a great 2009, and are looking forward to 2010 ^_^.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting and useful countdown of 2009...it came with a variety of new products ...some of which works some obviously marketing gimmick.

    mineral makeup

    ReplyDelete