Wednesday, December 23, 2009

shu uemura Cleansing Oil A/O



image from Sephora.com


Price: $32 for 150ml, $72 for 450ml (15.2oz)

What they say:
"For aging concerns

Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O is the #1 selling shu uemura Cleansing Oil in the world. A premium anti-oxidant skin purifier that thoroughly cleanses the skin while protecting it against the internal and external aggressions associated with skin aging."

What I say:
While this isn't love at first sight, this is love at multiple glances, and with second thoughts.

I first came across shu uemura Skin Purifier High Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O (man, that's a mouthful) after many online bloggers and review communities convinced me that oil would, in fact, not destroy my face, if I was careful, and that this stuff is basically gold in a bottle.  With these thoughts in my mind, I stalked up to a shu uemura counter in Nordstroms, and asked about the oil.  Not only did they give me a pamphlet, they also gave me two samples to try (each one, with how little I use at a time, lasts me about a week, if only used at night).

Samples in hand, I headed home, and tried this.  Now, I knew how to use it, since I had read the reviews: dry hands, dry face, rub in, little water, emulsify, rinse off.  That's what I did, the first time.  It left a film.

I hate film.

So I put this to the side, and was glad I hadn't paid for a full bottle.  Reading more reviews, though, it turns out that even those instructions were wrong (Side note: don't do what the bottle instructions say.  Too much waste, and it doesn't work as well).  You put a little water on your hands, emulsify, repeat, and when the white is mostly gone, then you rinse.  I tried this, and it worked.  Still a little film, but nothing I can't handle.

So, I went to step 2, the makeup test.  Does it remove makeup?  Yes.  Does it remove waterproof?  From what I can see, yes.  Does it do all this without the watering eyes of doom?  Again, yes, but a small note, this can cause your eyes to get... cloudy, I guess is the word I'm looking for.  Doesn't hurt, but it can be annoying.

Last thing I noticed, it does, in fact, help clear my pores.  Since the oil can get into the pores, it can cause the stuff in them to come out.  And since it emulsifies with water, it doesn't remain in them when you're done.  Gross, when stuff is coming out (TMI, I know), but still, whatever helps.

Scent: I haven't really noticed one, since I'm not looking, but I have been told there is one.

Bottle: Great!  No leaks, you can see how much is left, and the pump is very handy.  I kept my small bottles for travel, and the nozzle fits perfectly inside, so that's a bonus.

So there you have it!  This stuff is quite good, and I have since bought a full bottle of it.  Now, the downside of this is that it is pricey.  That's why, in my lemmings post earlier, I said I wanted to try the NYX version, to see how it stood up against the titan.  Is it worth it anyway?  Personally, that really depends on your budget and how often you are planning on using it.  I use it maybe a couple times a week, and I can say that my bottle will last me for at least a year.  When you break it down, that's really cheap, and so I would say worth it.  If you are using it twice a day, though, and are using the full recommended 4-5 pumps (I'm using something like 1, maybe a little less), then even the big bottle will be drained quickly.

Regardless, if you are interested in trying this, or any shu uemura, oil out, I really recommend going to the counter.  I can't say for certain you will get as much as I did, but even one sample should last long enough for you to see if you will react.  (Maybe that's why they gave me so much, is that I told them I was worried about breakouts... hmm..).

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment